Meet Lisa Bragança
Bragança Law is based in Chicago, Illinois but represents clients all over the country. We defend individuals and businesses in SEC, FINRA, and state regulatory investigations and litigation, recover investor losses, represent whistleblowers, and handle business disputes. We help clients with:
- Recovering Investment Losses
- Recovering Losses Resulting From Elder Financial Exploitation
- Responding to SEC Subpoenas
- Responding to FINRA 8210 Requests
- Responding to State Financial Agency Investigation Demands
- Filing SEC Whistleblower Tips
- Obtaining Corporate Information for Shareholders
- Representing Individuals and Entities in Business Disputes
These are some of our many practice areas. To learn more about our legal services, call our law firm at (847) 906-3460 or submit your contact information using the form on this website.
Former SEC Branch Chief Representing Businesses, Financial Professionals, and Investors
Bragança Law was founded by Lisa Bragança, a graduate from the University of Chicago where she received a B.A. (with honors) and a J.D. / M.B.A. (Order of the Coif, honors). As a former Branch Chief in the Division of Enforcement of the Chicago Office of the Securities & Exchange Commission, she handled investigations of accounting fraud, Ponzi schemes, insider trading, churning, and unsuitable investments.
During her time at the SEC, Lisa collaborated with the DOJ in the investigation of subprime auto lender Mercury Finance Company. Three senior executives, including the Chairman/CEO, were sentenced to prison terms as a result of this investigation.
Lisa also collaborated with the DOJ on an investigation of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations arising out of the bribery of Haitian customers officials. The CEO and another senior executive were convicted and sentenced to substantial prison time due to this investigation.
Prior to launching Bragança Law, Lisa also worked at Jenner & Block, where she represented Case Corporation in a federal court insurance coverage trial. In this case, she successfully won the entire $4.2 million her client sought for breach of contract as well as $10 million in punitive damages for bad faith. At the time, this was the highest amount of punitive damages ever awarded in Wisconsin.
At Bragança Law, Lisa represents individuals and entities involved in SEC and state regulatory investigations. She helps investors recover losses through arbitration and litigation. She represents whistleblowers in reporting illegal activities to the government.
Throughout her career, Lisa has been an advocate for the rights of people with physical, cognitive, and psychiatric disabilities. She previously served as counsel in three statewide class actions seeking to compel the State of Illinois to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. She also regularly speaks about elder financial exploitation, securities regulation, recovering investment losses, and cryptocurrency / ICO regulation including:
- Organizer and participant in Concordia University elder financial abuse program https://gradschool.cuchicago.edu/the-centers/financial-stewardship-and-older-adults–choices-options-and-best-practices/
- Guest lecturer on FINRA arbitration hearings for St. John’s Law School Securities Arbitration Clinic
- Faculty for CBA program, Truth Without Proof – getting blockchain transactions into evidence and co-author of article on same topic
- “Cryptocurrencies and Tokens: What are they and who regulates them” co-author PIABA Bar Journal, Vol. 25, No. 1 (2018), available here: Bragança and Straney, Cryptocurrencies and Tokens, PIABA B.J., Vol 25, No 1 (2018)
- Speaker and moderator at Public Investor Arbitration Bar Association and Chicago Bar Association meetings and programs on cryptocurrency and token regulation, investor protection, FINRA arbitration, and behavioral finance
- Speaker at American Bar Association TechShow 2019 on cryptocurrency and token regulation
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) training on elder abuse by financial advisors
- Instructor for Chicago Bar Foundation / NITA trial advocacy and deposition skills programs
Lisa is actively involved in the legal community. She is a former Chair of the Chicago Bar Association Securities Law Committee and is a member of the Women’s White Collar Defense Association (WWCDA), the CBA Financial and Emerging Technology Committee, the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and is the former president of The PIABA Foundation.
Schedule A Free Consultation With Bragança Law Today
At Bragança Law, we are committed to protecting our clients in investigations and litigation, protecting whistleblowers, and recovering investment losses. To learn more about our legal services, schedule a free consultation with Bragança Law by calling (847) 906-3460 or emailing Lisa@SECDefenseAttorney.com.