Celiza (Lisa) Bragança
Chicago, Illinois – (847) 906-3460
Lisa Bragança has decades of experience as a financial and securities litigator. Lisa served as a Branch Chief in the Division of Enforcement of the Chicago Office of the Securities & Exchange Commission, where she handled investigations of accounting fraud, Ponzi schemes, insider trading, churning, and unsuitability.
While at the SEC, Lisa collaborated with the DOJ in investigating $2 billion in losses arising out of subprime auto lender Mercury Finance Company’s cooking the books. As a result, three senior executives, including the Chairman/CEO, were sentenced to prison terms. Lisa also supervised a investigation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations arising out of bribery of Haitian customers officials in collaboration with DOJ. As a result, the CEO and another senior executive were convicted and sentenced to substantial prison time.
While at Jenner & Block, Lisa represented Case Corporation in a Milwaukee federal court insurance coverage trial in which the jury awarded the entire $4.2 million sought for breach of contract, plus $10 million in punitive damages for bad faith.
Since leaving the SEC, Lisa has represented investors as well as directors and officers involved in SEC and DOJ investigations, class actions, and bankruptcy investigations. She has recovered substantial losses for investors through court actions and FINRA arbitration. Lisa has also been an advocate for the rights of people with physical, cognitive, and psychiatric disabilities, serving as counsel in three statewide class actions seeking to compel the State of Illinois to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Before law school, Lisa was a consultant with the division of Arthur Andersen & Company that is now Accenture.
B.A. (with honors) and J.D. / M.B.A. (Order of the Coif, honors) from the University of Chicago.
Lisa teaches and speaks about securities regulation, recovering investment losses, cryptocurrency / ICO regulation, and elder financial abuse including
- Chicago Bar Association Securities Law expert panel discussion on securities law in the Trump Administration
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) training program on elder abuse by financial advisors
- PIABA Annual Meeting program on litigating investor claims in FINRA arbitration
- Chicago Bar Foundation / NITA trial advocacy training program
- Chicago Bar Foundation deposition skills training program
- PLI program, “Minding Your 302s,” about Sarbanes-Oxley section 302 certifications
- Turnaround Management Association / Certified Fraud Examiner Winter meeting panel on financial fraud
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, “Sarbanes-Oxley Act 2002”
Lisa is a member of the Womens White Collar Defense Association (WWCDA), the Public Investor Advocacy Bar Association (PIABA), the Chicago Bar Association (CBA), and the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
You can reach Lisa at (847) 906-3460